Skip to main content

Teamwork


It was 3 PM after school and we were on a bus on our way to an indoor track and field meet. I didn't have any music to listen to and was trying to relax. I was going through my rituals, massaging and stretching my legs. I was extremely nervous and hadn't slept much the night before. Along with the nerves, I was excited too. I had my teammates, my brothers in arms, suffering along with me.

My coach did all the work: entering us into events and strategically planning how to win the meet. We had a small team compared to the other schools on Long Island. We were a team of four Jamaicans, three Haitians, and two Americans and we were all very close. Tonight, as most nights, I would run the 800m with my team captain, Horace Bryan -- a Jamaican from the UK. He was the national record holder for the indoor 200meter. The year before, he was on the 400x4 relay team that held the High School National record for many years. He was offered a full scholarship to an Ivy League school after graduation.

We got on the starting line. Horace started next to me, which helped because I felt less nervous. We were on the line with some of the fastest half-milers in Long Island who wanted nothing more than to take a bite out of Horace's long stride. The gun was about to go off and the tension was building. When the gun goes off, you feel like you’re being shot out of a canon. It’s the most freeing feeling, just letting loose on this indoor rubbery track.

The turns come fast and furious. The track wasn't banked so we had to control our speed when turning the corners. The straight aways would send you into full flight. I was quickly in the lead and it felt easy. I dared not look back but I felt the chase behind me. It was exciting to lead the race. A few competitors challenged me for the lead but I was able to hold them off. After 400meters I started to feel the pain of the race, but I had to hold on a little bit longer. I was waiting on a sound, waiting for my team captain to make his move. Usually at the last 200 or 300 meter, Horace would make a sound with his breathing -- a whooshing sound. I could hear him some meters behind me. He would always hang in the back of the pack until the last 200-300 meters.

He made the noise with his breathing and just flew by everyone. He passed me to take over the lead, as did a few other runners. His effort during the last 200 meters was phenomenal. I knew he was suffering and in pain, but he ran balls to bones to take first place and always with one of the fastest times in the country for a high school athlete.

I played a small part in that event. Though track and field is an individual race, there is team work involved. I lead out the race, making the other runners chase after me. They would run my race. They reacted to my efforts so that Horace could hang back and run his race. This was a tactic we used often. The reward was that Horace would win while I would finish in the Top 6 while still earning points. Points that we needed to ensure our team’s victory.

These experiences really helped me to grow as an athlete and a human being. A year later I became a stronger 800meter runner. I learned the value of supporting people unselfishly. Horace has always supported me both on and off the track by being both a big brother and good friend.

Popular posts from this blog

HALF IRONMAN Racing In Heavy Rain

2006 Mighty Montack This is yet another race story about a HALF IRONMAN or 70.3 Mile race, hope you enjoy the story. I thought about including a few unknown fact about racing most people won't talk about but if you ask me I will tell you. Like what happens if you get sick or have to go to the bathroom. As you train and plan for your races, the goal is simply to be prepared, but how does one prepare for a Hurricane. Out of 700 athletes only 386 completed race. 5 am we (John and Dan fellow racers) woke from a restless sleep, poor Dan he only got 1 hour worth of sleep. I could have used another 15 min, then another 10 min the 5 min more. I forced my self out of bed taking a mental assessment of how I am feeling and what the day holds. My mind even flash on the end of race and how good I will feel. Got to the kitchen it was still dark outside the wind was howling and rain was pouring. At first I thought would the race be cancelled, maybe I shouldn't do the race then just do t

New York City Triathlon 2007

New York City Triathlon. Kind of the same results but better, it was a super hard day because of the wind on the bike course. I finished in the top 30% over all beat 1 professional (must of had a bad day) and a hand full of Semi-Pro athletes. The group that I started in was one the last groups to go off in the swim, when the horn went off I started hard and fast, my HR spiked and I knew I had to settle down into a comfortable but fast enough pace. I know other swimmers would want to beak out of the group and go out hard and fast too and I counted on it. Because they would be too tired to respond as I would make my way past them. That a 800 meter runner tactic, start hard for a beginning then settle into to back of the pack and slowly move up as the race progresses. I was in lead group catching up the group that had a 6 minute lead on us. I guess people must have been surprised to see a black guy swim so fast, next time on my wet suite I will have a Jamaican flag silk screened

Little Red Light House Open Water 7.5 Swim

15 minutes Longer? A few days before the race, I received an email stating to all competitors the race will be 15min longer. Which was confusing because depending how fast you are, 15 minutes can mean anywhere from a 1/2 mile to a mile in distance. Or it could be that the current could be flat so you wouldn't have much of a push or the current could be against you so a mile will take you longer. For me it was too much to think about, considering all the other variables with a hectic life. Day of the race; the start time was at 3PM and checkin was at 1PM, it felt like an after school track meet. Normally I am up at the crack of dawn rushing to the race site. On my way to start of the race I stopped off at a Vitamin Shop to pick up some gels for the race. At the same time Rod Stewart and his son were in the shop, I was ahead of him, I paid and then quick moved to side so you can quickly purchase his nutrition bar. He noticed I recognized him and he said hello with a nice smile. I