Skip to main content

Escape from Alcatraz

Escape from Alcatraz Race Report
Escape from Alcatraz is one of the most challenging Triathlon of its kind.
1.5 Mile Swim from Alcatraz Island in the icy cold San Francisco Bay said to have sharks. 18 mile bike in hilly San Francisco then a bone crushing 8 mile hilly run.



Credit: Photos by David Paul Morris / Special to The Chronicle
To have a top finish in this Triathlon is a great accomplishment compared to finding your self in the finals of an Olympic event due to large number of top professionals and talented amateur athletes selected to compete in this race. I was very lucky to have won a lottery spot by successfully completing a race on the East Coast months ago. 

I am very grateful to have been apart of this unique and challenging race. Special thanks to my friend and Coach/Mentor Wes Hobson who has won this race a few times. He is great athlete, coach and good friend -- his voice was in my head the entire time I was racing.



The race began on a boat just off of the shore of Alcatraz Island. One minute we were taking a relaxing boat ride to the start point, and the next there were 1,600 athletes being herded into 55-degree water. This time I made sure I had my goggles on (unlike my last race in the Hudson, when I swam a mile without goggles -- not fun). The water temperature was the least of the challenges I was met with during the swim. The current was against us, pushing in a diagonal direction. We were being pushed off the race course at all times, but that wasn't the worst part. The chop/ waves in the water were so rough that I felt like I was in a boxing ring with the welterweight champion fighter hitting me with right hand jabs every time I picked my head up out of the water. I was telling myself how much I love this. I really was enjoying myself, even when the fog rolled in and we couldn't see anything but the boats in the distance, guiding the swimmers.

While swimming, I knew there were Great White sharks in the water. I must have been punch drunk when I thought I saw a shark take out another swimmer, but it was just a wave. I finished the swim telling myself how much I loved it. I did get a little sick while swimming in San Fran Bay, though -- I guess I’m used to swimming in the Hudson. One day, I will one day swim the Thames River in the London Triathlon. 

Out of the water and next was the .5-mile barefoot run to our the bikes. It was hard to get my running legs, but by the last quarter mile I was feeling okay. Quickly got my bike and was feeling good as I headed out onto the 18-mile hilly bike path. I mounted my road bike and got into a steady pace of about 24+ mph for the first two miles until we got to the first hill, which just went straight up. My speed went  from 24 mph to 10 mph in a matter of seconds. That is to be expected so no worries. But what goes up must come down going down at 40-50 mph with dangerous hairpin turns. I was holding onto my brakes for dear life, every once in awhile witnessing an unfortunate athlete crash, tending to his/her wounds and a damaged bike. 

I enjoyed going up the hill -- that’s when I passed a lot of my competitors. But on the way down, who I couldn't pass most certainly passed me. During the last part of the bike leg, I got to see part of the 8-mile run course and watch the Pros race It was a sight to behold. The speed and efficiency that they moved at was amazing to watch. They suffered and were in pain too but they did had such composure and control making every movement count. They seemed to race with calmness and laser focus.

Soon it was time to run, leaving the hills that felt like mountains behind. We were on flat land again. The transition from bike to run was near, eventually we racked our bike and quickly slipped into racing flats. Then ran onto the hilly, sandy, dirt and some paved 8 mile run course. Two miles into the run thoughts of despair began, the pain was deep and I just looking for the finish. I felt I was running on fumes with nothing in the tank.

"When you think you’re done you’re only 40% into what your body is capable of doing and that’s just the limits that we put on ourselves. - David Goggin"


One step at a time, Scott Schumaker makes the climb
©2001 Daphne Hougard
I made to choice to finish, thoughts of quitting stopped and the energy that wasn't there now was there. My head was back in the race. Now I was trying to keep a steady pace, despite the difficultly. It was a hellish up and down hilly 8-mile course with a treat: the infamous sand lander/stair that no one runs up you have walk or pull yourself up (even the top pros). The pain was so great, but none of it mattered. 

There was a pebble in my shoe, digging into the ball of my foot and it didn't matter. I could have stopped to take the pebble out but one second extra on this race course was one second too long, but I just had to dig deep and finish. 

The thoughts of finishing and the words of positive words and encouragement from people in my life started to replayed in my head closer to the end of race. If nothing else, this pushed me to the finish. When I couldn't find positive words within myself, I found positive words from others.

Much like the bike the ending section was flat this meant we were running towards the finish line. That pebble was still bothering me I wanted it out. But I wanted to finish more, the finish line was near you can tell by the huge crowds of spectators. Their cheers got louder as we got closer to the finish. Running into the finish shoot and crossing line made me happy the suffer was over then feeling completing the race knocks you over. Then the sadness comes that the race is over spiritual and emotionally you want to do it again. Mentally I started process my time and think about what I could differently. It made me think about qualifying again, I had to wait 2 or 3 years to be eligible again, no matter I would wait.

I loved every stroke, every pedal and every step, when all is said and done. Without good people in my life, I never would’ve finished this race: the most challenging Triathlon.

Thank you to my friends for supporting me, I know that what I do is a purely selfish pursuit and it has put stresses on relationships. I have lost friends, but I’ve also gained new friends and grown closer to old ones. 

Thanks again to Wes Hobson who willingly gives me his time and encouragement. I hope to pay you back with good race results.



Wes Hobson out of the saddle
©2001 Daphne Hougard
Wes Hobson has competed in over 220 triathlons, from sprint- to Ironman-distance. He garnered 35 first places, 60 top-three finishes and 96 top-five finishes during his 12-year professional career that also included being selected "Triathlete of the Year" by the USOC. Wes co-authored Swim, Bike, Run, and created three triathlon and cycling related films.


Popular posts from this blog

HALF IRONMAN Racing In Heavy Rain

2006 Mighty Montack This is yet another race story about a HALF IRONMAN or 70.3 Mile race, hope you enjoy the story. I thought about including a few unknown fact about racing most people won't talk about but if you ask me I will tell you. Like what happens if you get sick or have to go to the bathroom. As you train and plan for your races, the goal is simply to be prepared, but how does one prepare for a Hurricane. Out of 700 athletes only 386 completed race. 5 am we (John and Dan fellow racers) woke from a restless sleep, poor Dan he only got 1 hour worth of sleep. I could have used another 15 min, then another 10 min the 5 min more. I forced my self out of bed taking a mental assessment of how I am feeling and what the day holds. My mind even flash on the end of race and how good I will feel. Got to the kitchen it was still dark outside the wind was howling and rain was pouring. At first I thought would the race be cancelled, maybe I shouldn't do the race then just do t

New York City Triathlon 2007

New York City Triathlon. Kind of the same results but better, it was a super hard day because of the wind on the bike course. I finished in the top 30% over all beat 1 professional (must of had a bad day) and a hand full of Semi-Pro athletes. The group that I started in was one the last groups to go off in the swim, when the horn went off I started hard and fast, my HR spiked and I knew I had to settle down into a comfortable but fast enough pace. I know other swimmers would want to beak out of the group and go out hard and fast too and I counted on it. Because they would be too tired to respond as I would make my way past them. That a 800 meter runner tactic, start hard for a beginning then settle into to back of the pack and slowly move up as the race progresses. I was in lead group catching up the group that had a 6 minute lead on us. I guess people must have been surprised to see a black guy swim so fast, next time on my wet suite I will have a Jamaican flag silk screened

Little Red Light House Open Water 7.5 Swim

15 minutes Longer? A few days before the race, I received an email stating to all competitors the race will be 15min longer. Which was confusing because depending how fast you are, 15 minutes can mean anywhere from a 1/2 mile to a mile in distance. Or it could be that the current could be flat so you wouldn't have much of a push or the current could be against you so a mile will take you longer. For me it was too much to think about, considering all the other variables with a hectic life. Day of the race; the start time was at 3PM and checkin was at 1PM, it felt like an after school track meet. Normally I am up at the crack of dawn rushing to the race site. On my way to start of the race I stopped off at a Vitamin Shop to pick up some gels for the race. At the same time Rod Stewart and his son were in the shop, I was ahead of him, I paid and then quick moved to side so you can quickly purchase his nutrition bar. He noticed I recognized him and he said hello with a nice smile. I