Skip to main content

96 Degrees in the Shade HALF IRONMAN

My training partner Zouheir and I spend a lot time together. For years, we have traveled, trained and raced all over the country. For him, racing is not only something he does for himself; it is also a way to be a role model for his two girls Leila  and Zina. In almost every race he crosses the finish line with them. He is a wonderful and caring father. I truley believe that triathlon has given him the energy and inspiration neccessary to give his family a healthy and positive life.

Since family is a key focus for him and many triathletes, the Walt Disney Half IRONMAN was a great destination race. Because I was there with him, I offered to take on some parenting duties to help him out. Pre-race was always hectic one way or another; so when Zouheir was busy tending to his bike or equipment, I would take care of the girls. Then, when it came time to eat we would take turns so that the little one always had attention.

Taking care of the girls was great because it kept my mind occupied. It also kept me from thinking about the hard race ahead. I noticed that when I was around the kids I was always in a clear, calm state; opposed to the races where I am alone and cycling through a million thoughts. Despite how hectic things may have appeared I felt relaxed. I believe the energy from the kids was refreshing and joyful and really helped me to stay focused.

Come race morning, we would check-in, get our body marking and tackle all kinds of last minute race tasks. We also learned about the race course and all the little ins and outs to be expected. All this with kids in tow and looking after their needs as well. We didn't really have a moment to say "Holy Shit! It's going to be hot as hell today and this run is going to be a challenge." Oh yes, around young kids..... I had to watch my language. OOps.

My friend, veteran of many marathons, who says that the day after a sub 2:40 near pro level time, that he has never felt sore; did make one statement before the race. He said," how crazy it is going to be when we get off our bikes after riding 56miles and then having to run a half marathon another 13.1 miles?". Because of who this comment was coming from I began to really think about the race now. But for some reason I didn't get nervous or worked up. Maybe the girls were a good distraction for what was ahead.

Before you know it, It was time to race. We lined up at the waters edge preparing for the 1.2 mile swim. The horn went off and we all ran into the water jockeying for a good position. I was looking for a swimmer that was a little faster than me so I could draft off them. Someone had the same idea with me, but instead of swimming on my feet behind me, he decided to swim on my hip. As I tried to swim away from him he would follow to the point where I couldn't swim in a straight line. I had the urge to take off his goggles so he would leave me alone. Despite having this leach on my hip, I finished the swim, but not as fast as I wanted to.

Because of my slow swim, the urgency to make up the time on the bike was really high. Immediately I started riding like a bat out of hell, where another racer, who was more seasoned than me, said, "this isn't sprint, this is a 70.3 mile race KID!". I wasn't insulted, I actually appreciated his comment, but I kept riding like a mad man. On mile 12, I was settling into the bike, even at this pace. All of a sudden my handle bars came loose and turned 90 degrees with the front wheel surprisingly remaining somewhat straight. Damn! My bike was coming apart! I stopped and quickly got off the bike to fix it. I didn't have time to process what had just happened. I just had to fix it and move on.

We were in rural Florida, which reminded me of where I grew up near the military base my Dad was stationed at. That area near the base is where I consider myself to be from and where I spent most of my formative years as a child. So I really felt at home here. Until my front tire ran over a snake! The day seems to keep getting better, huh? I didn't know what kind of a snake it was and I didn't want to got back and find out. Five minutes later I saw a bird of pray swoop down and pick up another snake in it's claws. At that point I knew I was in the wild!

At the half way point of my ride, I noticed I was at a good pace but not enough to make up for a slow swim. Man, I should have knocked off that guy's goggles! We started heading back the way we came towards the start of the 13 mile run. Around this time sun was coming out. The heat was quickly building and on the bike I couldn't seem to get enough water. I was beginning to feel dehydrated.

My fast pace quickly lowered to correct pace I should have been riding when I had started. By the end of the ride I was paying for the high effort earlier. Now it was time to run. The one thing Zouheir said before the race had just become very real. This is just crazy. After covering over 50miles, it is now time to run 13 miles. This just didn't seem right. The strange thing is that this wasn't my first race at this distance, but I think the sun was getting to me. The heat felt like soup and there wasn't any ice on the race course, only what seemed to be warm water to drink. But I continued to push forward with a positive attitude.


Before I knew it the miles melted away and the finish was insight. Zouheir saw his family. The girls joined him, held is hand, and crossed the finish line with him. I followed shortly behind him crossing the finish line.

We found some cool water to drink and a shady place to sit. The only place we could find was near a smelly bathroom. It really did't matter at this point. We just needed the shade. We both were hot messes, sitting in the dirt. We didn't have the energy to talk to one another so we communicated with body language, using small movements and hand jesters. We were pretty much alone due to the smell of where we were sitting. We wanted to move but just couldn't at that point. The oldest girl said," Andrew, can we play soccer now? you promised". I could help but smile, I mustered a few words and said," In a little while baby, we will play".


Related Video

Popular posts from this blog

HALF IRONMAN Racing In Heavy Rain

2006 Mighty Montack This is yet another race story about a HALF IRONMAN or 70.3 Mile race, hope you enjoy the story. I thought about including a few unknown fact about racing most people won't talk about but if you ask me I will tell you. Like what happens if you get sick or have to go to the bathroom. As you train and plan for your races, the goal is simply to be prepared, but how does one prepare for a Hurricane. Out of 700 athletes only 386 completed race. 5 am we (John and Dan fellow racers) woke from a restless sleep, poor Dan he only got 1 hour worth of sleep. I could have used another 15 min, then another 10 min the 5 min more. I forced my self out of bed taking a mental assessment of how I am feeling and what the day holds. My mind even flash on the end of race and how good I will feel. Got to the kitchen it was still dark outside the wind was howling and rain was pouring. At first I thought would the race be cancelled, maybe I shouldn't do the race then just do t

New York City Triathlon 2007

New York City Triathlon. Kind of the same results but better, it was a super hard day because of the wind on the bike course. I finished in the top 30% over all beat 1 professional (must of had a bad day) and a hand full of Semi-Pro athletes. The group that I started in was one the last groups to go off in the swim, when the horn went off I started hard and fast, my HR spiked and I knew I had to settle down into a comfortable but fast enough pace. I know other swimmers would want to beak out of the group and go out hard and fast too and I counted on it. Because they would be too tired to respond as I would make my way past them. That a 800 meter runner tactic, start hard for a beginning then settle into to back of the pack and slowly move up as the race progresses. I was in lead group catching up the group that had a 6 minute lead on us. I guess people must have been surprised to see a black guy swim so fast, next time on my wet suite I will have a Jamaican flag silk screened

Little Red Light House Open Water 7.5 Swim

15 minutes Longer? A few days before the race, I received an email stating to all competitors the race will be 15min longer. Which was confusing because depending how fast you are, 15 minutes can mean anywhere from a 1/2 mile to a mile in distance. Or it could be that the current could be flat so you wouldn't have much of a push or the current could be against you so a mile will take you longer. For me it was too much to think about, considering all the other variables with a hectic life. Day of the race; the start time was at 3PM and checkin was at 1PM, it felt like an after school track meet. Normally I am up at the crack of dawn rushing to the race site. On my way to start of the race I stopped off at a Vitamin Shop to pick up some gels for the race. At the same time Rod Stewart and his son were in the shop, I was ahead of him, I paid and then quick moved to side so you can quickly purchase his nutrition bar. He noticed I recognized him and he said hello with a nice smile. I