Skip to main content

New York City Triathlon 2007

New York City Triathlon.
Kind of the same results but better, it was a super hard day because of the wind on the bike course. I finished in the top 30% over all beat 1 professional (must of had a bad day) and a hand full of Semi-Pro athletes.

The group that I started in was one the last groups to go off in the swim, when the horn went off I started hard and fast, my HR spiked and I knew I had to settle down into a comfortable but fast enough pace. I know other swimmers would want to beak out of the group and go out hard and fast too and I counted on it. Because they would be too tired to respond as I would make my way past them. That a 800 meter runner tactic, start hard for a beginning then settle into to back of the pack and slowly move up as the race progresses. I was in lead group catching up the group that had a 6 minute lead on us. I guess people must have been surprised to see a black guy swim so fast, next time on my wet suite I will have a Jamaican flag silk screened some where.



[At this point I was 20 second behind the race leader ]

The bike course was real windy, but I had areo wheels put on for the wind. It was like riding up hill for 12.5 mile my average speed was 15 Mph to 21 Mph and my HR was 166 - 173 Maxed out at 183 not want I planned so I had to come up with a new approach. On the return the tail wind helped and pushed real hard for 24 Mph to 28 Mph Max speed on the down hill of 42 Mph and my HR was much lower 153 - 158 perfect Zone. The last 3 miles a guy on very expensive Carbon Fiber Scott Bike pasted my. I was insulted just at the mere fact someone would pass (Attitude from my your hurdling days really the killer instinct needed to be competitive) So I pasted him and when I did. I said your bike is carbon fiber and my bike is aluminum, that pissed him off and we started to battle each other for the lead. We fought the last few miles in.

Coming into the the transition area we got off the our bikes and he was fired up and said thanks for pushing him. We got in to see VERY few bikes he said you know what that means. I responded NO, he replied WE ARE KICKING ASS. Then it brought be back to when I would watch epic IRONMAN Triathlon Champions to see the race leaders lone bike in transition because he was already running. I wasn't quite like that for us they where a few bike I didn't really notice, I am glad he did.

[At this point I was 7 min behind the race leader ]

Time for the run, I was feeling confident because I have been working on my run to get my old form back. I used to a 4:20 miler and 8:50 2 miler and I was never a distance runner just a 400 Meter Hurdler. The day before I was running easy 6 min miles as a warm up for race day and a few time I dipped my mile time to 5 and change a few times. I was ready to have a good run still not as fast as I used to be but the feeling was coming back. Unfortunately on the bike I didn't drink much water so I cramped badly on the run. It was so pain full to lift my legs it was going badly. Before the race instead of focusing on what I wanted to accomplished my focus was being thank full for being able to this and not matter what happened I will have a good race.

So I had to slow down and try to take in as my fluid and electrolytes as much as possible, by mile 3 things started to come back still not 100% more like 50% came back. The run course in Central Park is really hard it not flat. I kept on ticking away and eventually I started passing people, this is a first for me in triathlon. the group of guys I was running with weren't the slow guys either or the unfit. We all where struggling, the miles start to count down quickly and soon was the finish were I had to pass more people to improve my ranking. 300 Meters from the finish I picked up the pace and ran through the field to a sprint finish.

[At this point I was 18 min behind the race leader ]

Over all it not my fasted time in a race but one of my best races so far. Triathlon is so unpredictable and anything can happen from equipment failure to adverse weather conditions and other issues. I have Found that by being thankful and grateful just for being there keep me in good spirits and and not matter what happened it's all good. Even though I had a great swim and great bike I am most proud of my run. This was the most painful triathlon runs I have ever had but because I was grateful for being able to the race it kept me thinking and feeling positive.

Popular posts from this blog

HALF IRONMAN Racing In Heavy Rain

2006 Mighty Montack This is yet another race story about a HALF IRONMAN or 70.3 Mile race, hope you enjoy the story. I thought about including a few unknown fact about racing most people won't talk about but if you ask me I will tell you. Like what happens if you get sick or have to go to the bathroom. As you train and plan for your races, the goal is simply to be prepared, but how does one prepare for a Hurricane. Out of 700 athletes only 386 completed race. 5 am we (John and Dan fellow racers) woke from a restless sleep, poor Dan he only got 1 hour worth of sleep. I could have used another 15 min, then another 10 min the 5 min more. I forced my self out of bed taking a mental assessment of how I am feeling and what the day holds. My mind even flash on the end of race and how good I will feel. Got to the kitchen it was still dark outside the wind was howling and rain was pouring. At first I thought would the race be cancelled, maybe I shouldn't do the race then just do t

Little Red Light House Open Water 7.5 Swim

15 minutes Longer? A few days before the race, I received an email stating to all competitors the race will be 15min longer. Which was confusing because depending how fast you are, 15 minutes can mean anywhere from a 1/2 mile to a mile in distance. Or it could be that the current could be flat so you wouldn't have much of a push or the current could be against you so a mile will take you longer. For me it was too much to think about, considering all the other variables with a hectic life. Day of the race; the start time was at 3PM and checkin was at 1PM, it felt like an after school track meet. Normally I am up at the crack of dawn rushing to the race site. On my way to start of the race I stopped off at a Vitamin Shop to pick up some gels for the race. At the same time Rod Stewart and his son were in the shop, I was ahead of him, I paid and then quick moved to side so you can quickly purchase his nutrition bar. He noticed I recognized him and he said hello with a nice smile. I